CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 17, 2008

I'm changing careers...I think

Before I start, I must say this was a past statement and I'm not changing careers.
It started about 17 months ago. I was concerned about my future finances. The stock market was frustrating me and the future of Chrysler (my employer) was iffy too. I read some rich guy books and began to accept the concept of starting my own business. I knew I could to it and I started a quest to learn everything I could. I bought books on cd, took a few courses on how to start your own business, I sought out and talked to people that started their own business, I watched shows that taught how to become successful, I researched for seminars and trade shows, the list goes on and on.
My decision was to become a wheelchair repairman. I took online courses and several company courses. I spent in the neighborhood of $2000 total in preparation to change careers. I thought I was doing everything right and following God's will for my life. At that time I was struggling with my walk with God. It was hard to hear His voice.
One day during the fall God said wait. So I did for a few days. Then I went right back at it. I learned the good things and the bad of the health care industry. There was just enough bad to not jump in with both feet. Government is involved and I hate doing taxes. The more I worked at changing careers, the more it felt wrong.
The rest of my life was suffering and I began to realize I needed to get things right. I tried but couldn't do much. Work stunk, kids ministry was a chore, my marriage was lousy, Bible reading rarely connected me to God or applied to life, and my attitude was negative. I was getting depressed and my health started to suffer as well. I had nobody I trusted enough to talk to about this. Things got bad enough that I realized I needed to change or die. I drew a line in the sand and told God, "No more, this has got to change." I wrote two friends and met another to spill my guts and beg for their prayers.
Soon after, I met with my pastors to let them know I was dropping out of kid's ministry and seeking the Lord for change in my life. I was hearing from God again and life was getting under control again.
Within weeks the Lord showed me I had a job and didn't need to change. I was out of his will and trying to control my life without Him. I was trying and thinking for myself and compromising what I thought God was saying.
'There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.' Proverbs 14:12 & Proverbs 16:25. If you don't know what to do don't make something up, pray and see what God wants. He is in charge no matter what you think or feel.

0 comments: