CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Good Day!!

Day one went well. We had several workers to help. It started late because of the snow. We got there and all the doors were blocked off except one entrance. It was Kim (my wife), Mom (mother-in-law), and I. This is how it went... we parked by the door where our booth is set up. I suggested for me to go in and open the door by going around the long way. Mom says to back the van up and let Kim out. Kim is in a wheelchair and our ramp is on the side. So we do it Mom's way. The three of us go to the door in a blowing snowstorm and the ramp is blocked so Kim heads off to the main entrance. Mom and I are outside the door knocking waiting for somebody to let us in. No such luck. We call Margaret (GERT's founder and sister to Kim) and she doesn't pickup. Mom says to go and let her in. The door's blocked off like I said earlier. No in or out. Back around to get Mom and by the time I got there she was freezing. We got the wheelchair for her because her health has become a hindrance. The long walk was going to be too much for her.
Getting over that, we joined the others. We started the fishing game, making balloon animals, taking pictures, and greeting the visitors. I was put on several jobs that I just did. However, when I was put on the fishing game it was my gift. I just connect with kids and it's fun. When it came time to leave I actually didn't want to go. I was doing what God created me to do.
I saw several people I knew from church and a few from the other areas of life. One boy must really miss me. He asked me when I was coming back to class for the second time. I dropped out of Royal Rangers (an Assembly of God Boy Scouts program) before Christmas. I was led by God to do this and it changed my life for the better. I was a RR leader since 2000. It was a difficult transition. I didn't think I made much of a difference this year. My spiritual life was a wreck and I was just going through the motions. The boys didn't seem connected to me like years past. Funny how the little stuff we do does count...good or bad. Why does this boy want me back? Why not just move on like every other situation when this happens? I must have been some kind of influence to him.
Moving on, I saw a family that left our church a couple years ago. It was so good to see them! I was the leader for two of their boys. They needed a man to be there for them and God set me up! I was in over my head with the boy they adopted from a different country. He was taken off the streets at the age of 5 or 6. He did whatever it took to take care of his sister and himself. He didn't adjust well to moving here and living in a house. He needed help none of us could give but I know I made a difference in that boy's life. He felt my love for him. I made sure he didn't hurt the other boys and that no one hurt him. The other boy had an abusive father that left them. I took him to the fair a couple times and spent time with him. I hear he's playing three instruments, getting all a's and b's, and hunting with a gun and a bow! I was so glad to hear how well everybody was doing.
I guess the moral to this day is that we should 'choose life'. I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life. Deut. 30: 19. Every opportunity set before us effects somebody else's life. Yikes! Can I keep this in mind when I am irritated? Lazy? In a hurry? Only with God's help.

0 comments: