CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 6, 2008

Revival

When I think of revival I think about Azuza Street, Brownsville, and The Toronto Airport. I also think about Smith Wigglesworth, Oral Roberts, and Charles Finney. I think of miracles, people shaking, falling down, healings, and services that last all night and all week long. I think of how revival happens through prayer, fasting, and repentance. Then I wonder what it will take for "revival" to happen in my church or a nearby church. How much prayer is needed? Do we need more repentance? Is unity not deep enough to invite the Holy Spirit to move in a mighty way? What's wrong with my church, community, or me that is stopping a move of God to sweep into the pews of a church within driving distance? Is our country to far gone to revive? Why not???

Well maybe many of you think about revival the same way, but I want to present to you a new way to look at it. I recently wrote an email to a friend telling of a group of men in our church gathering together to become 'Maximized Men'-a book by Ed Cole. A new group has begun following this group that is an intimate setting for us to share our faults, victories, and concerns. It is a help to keep us accountable and growing. These are men willing to go the extra mile to fix their marriage, relationship with God, and issues that are keeping us from all God has for us. Here is that email:

"The men's group was awesome as usual. Tonight we had a new group starting for just 4 of us. One guy wasn't there. Three of us met up and discussed our growing in God and our marriages. It was so intimate and refreshing. I think God is giving revival to His own. We confessed our state and what is going on in us and what we are doing to fix or build upon it. All 4 of us last week met to start this and ALL of us connected in ways unique compared to anything I've ever seen or heard about. This week was no different. Come to find out MY email had something to do with it. By confessing my weakness the guys could relate with it and it's brought up things in our lives that God is dealing with and revealing to us. The amazing thing is God is working all this out in our lives at the same time. He is drawing us out of our lazy self-centered lives to become the priests of our homes and then outwardly to the community. I really find it amazing how much I have in common with other guys. In this group guys are admitting they are sensitive and emotional. We also are striving to build each other up and live differently to become what God created us for. This is revival. We want to change more than avoid the pain like we have all along. It ain't all about us!! I am so excited. I can really see something building in us and in the way God wants to do His plan for His church."

I am seeing from this email how God is giving revival to us individually and bringing us together to confirm what is happening. I am so encouraged by this. I see hope and victory ahead of us. I can see this group being a catalyst to attract change in all of us at my church.

James 5:16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
On our own we are no match for our enemy. He will defeat us 7 different ways. However, through sharing our needs and prayer, victory is ours for the taking. Speaking for myself, I have increased stamina to continue doing what's right instead of just giving up. I have less pain doing things that normally would drive me nuts. I am also noticing a recognition for my efforts and an increased pleasurable attitude instead of a 'whatever' attitude.
God is showing me revival begins with us. We need to be revived to live right at home, on the job, in the community, and in the church. The 'what's the least I can do and still be happy' attitude is over. To live a Godly life blessed from being obedient and unselfish takes courage and a team effort. Pride comes before a fall. How great that fall will be if we don't stop and see the brick wall we are driving into. Until we humble ourselves and let go of our plans and ideas, we will not have freedom, peace and contentment. We will always want more and never have enough. Revival acknowledges God for who He is and as we trust Him we have victory through the trials. Trusting Him, when everything is falling apart and we have no answers, is revival. Putting God first is revival. Putting others before us is revival. I can't wait to see what God has in store next for us. Wait and see...

0 comments: