CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Word Of The Year

I got this idea from Pastor Deanna Shrodes @ Lifetime Intimate Portrait. She got it from her friend who got it from... You take a long look at your life and pick one word that is a theme for 2009. You don't just pick one that you want. Let God guide you. Talk to a close friend. Find where you are and where God is taking you. What is the theme God is wanting you to strive for and focus on this year?
Last year my word was change. It just kept happening...change again and again. I noticed it about half way through the year. I didn't even think about it.
This year I found this idea to be good and I am up for the challenge. What is my word for this year? I took a week to figure it out. I knew my devotion and passion was lacking. I know I want to do what is right but the motivation to follow through with that wanting is the part I have the most difficulty with. I learned a lot last year and I know God wants to continue in that vein. I backed off a lot of things just to look and listen to find out what was the right thing to do for that situation. I became more of an observer than a reactor. It was a good thing but it carried over into all of my life and left me lethargic. Surprise I needed to change.
So what is that word? What's the theme for 2009? Passion? Devotion? After much time in thought and reflection I came up with "follow". If I just follow Him all will be well. I also needed to follow some people in my life. I tried some things in my life my way and it didn't work out so well. It seems to fit exactly where God has me and is leading me. Lead me I will follow, right?
It was my word until my first service back with the kids. It's been one year since I had any ministry with kids and two years since children's church. Except for forgetting or not knowing their names, it felt like I never left. God is good. The message was about giving to God and the 'Big Idea' was 'Give to God and He'll give to you.' It talked about excelling in all areas of life. We can live barely getting by or we can excel to be the best. I know it sounds like a commercial or a marketing campaign of some kind but with God we can excel in life. He expects us to be more than barely getting by. This lesson spoke to me loud and clear. I need to excel in life. I barely get by in so many areas. I know God wants my very best, not some made up plan by me but to follow Him in His. He'll supply all we need.
So my theme, my word is "excel". In 2009 God is calling me to excel, to be and do better. The verse for our lesson was Luke 6:38 "Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." God wants me to give more, to give it all I got. Not in my strength but His. It's by our fruit we are judged. The fruit tells you about the tree. Matthew 12: 33 (Message)

2 comments:

DaNella Auten said...

I too read that post, and am praying but no word has stood out at me. I thought of "shine" but I think it is my follow.... I am waiting to find my excell! lol

Sean said...

Hey Dude,
WHat are you doing besides excelling? GOod idea; as I read this, I'm pretty sure my word is "intimacy". The more I am able to see my life for what it is and what it is not and when I ask the question "why is this the case?" or "why does that happen?" or "why doesn't that happen?" I believe it leads back to one word for me and for us all: intimacy--I'm sure there are other words; I'm thinking of a couple more specific ones right now; I know you said one, but I've never been a one word type of guy:)

Glad to hear you're back in the saddle re: the kids.

Peace bro,
Sean