CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Guard Your Heart

I saw 'Proverbs 4:23 Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.' It made me wonder about guarding and how much I do and don't do.
I have seen some areas of weakness as of late and even considered not going to a marriage seminar because of the stark reality of my shortcomings. I know I need all of God I can get and to surrender my ways for His but the shock was overwhelming how much I am still an infant. I'm holding on to the easy life. There is so little self sacrifice. I am still protecting myself from rejection, being hurt, and being wrong.
So guarding my heart more than likely needs improvement. Here's what I found:

  • Proverbs 4:13 Hold on to instruction, do not let it go; guard it well, for it is your life.
Guard instruction...written and spoken word of God. I have been doing better this year but I need to learn to stand on the Word. I need to believe it by living it. There is stuff God told me that I need to stand on too.
  • Proverbs 13:3 He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin.
Guard lips...what I say. I have to stop before I speak. I let this slip as of late and my wife has been letting me know.
  • Proverbs 16:17 The highway of the upright avoids evil; he who guards his way guards his life.
Guard the way...what I do. I can do better. What programs/movies am I watching, conversations am I having, and time am I wasting? How many prayers have I neglected to pray?

  • Luke 12:15 Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."
Guard against greed...what I own and want to own. How much money have I wasted on stuff that later I find out how dumb it was to buy? Do I need the newest, best, brand name, electronic item to make my life easier? By the time you get it home it needs an upgrade. I need to downgrade on earthly treasures and strive for heavenly treasure.
  • Psalm 91:11 For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways;
Praise God!!! Even when I'm stupid He's watching over me. I need to take an attitude that I'm protected and just obey God without worrying about the consequences. God's got my back!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this article! It's wonderful to see how Christians are impacting the world through the internet. For a great blog that's assisting Christians to navigate the often bewildering territory of love and relationships in an increasingly secular world, check out www.christiancupid.com/blog

Sean said...

You hit the nail on the head. I need to look at this later when I have more time. Good stuff.