CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 21, 2008

The Last Hour

Saturday I saw my Aunt die. I never witnessed any body dying before and hope I never have to again. It was a really rough day. First we had to get ready and then leave at 2 am to pick up our Grandma from the nursing home then come home to pick up three more family members. Then all of us drove three hours to our Aunt's home.
The minute we arrived we were whisked in and placed right next to her bedside. She shocked us. We knew she had cancer, was on morphine and was dying fast. However, we were not prepared for her yellow sunken in face, her lifeless look, her labored breathing, and the motionlessness. She sat there and moaned. Each of us were put in front of her and said whatever we could come up with.
My niece starting crying right away and couldn't say anything. My wife was next. She took her hand and told her she loved her. Then Mom said sing her a song... She started singing 'her Jesus song' to her and everybody started crying. I was next and just didn't know what to say. I looked at her face and told her "I love you" while holding her hand. She then said my name as plain as day because several other people heard it. I was dumbfounded and in the meantime she squeezed my hand. She was still with us and could communicate if you listened hard enough. My wife's sisters went next and said their 'I love yous' and 'good byes.' Grandma had a turn too. She knew her daughter and told her she looked beautiful. She then starting crying.
Sis had some pictures with her and started to show her them one by one. She acknowledged each one. Some were of the Christmas party 8 months ago when she was the life of the party.
She came down to surprise Grandma. We put her into a wrapped cabinet and used a dolly to set it in place. They started the song 'I'll be home for Christmas' and at the end she came out and surprised everybody (that didn't know). I got to spend a lot of time with her that day and it was very special to me. That party really did reflect just the kind of person she was: happy, fun, and joyous.
Grandma went up one more time and said the same thing but she bent over sobbing this time and almost fell over. Being that she has Alzheimer's it was that much more special. People just kept coming to her side until Sis said a prayer for her and us. She died and I went outside to breathe. I could hardly swallow.
I never felt this way about anybody. I remember my Grandpa dying and shedding a tear but this was different. I didn't know anything, not how to act, feel, or what to say. I will definitely miss her and hope I can bring as much joy to people as she did.

1 comments:

DaNella Auten said...

awww my father in law died in 2003, and Q and I were there. He said Dad I love you and I'll see you in heaven, and prayed for him, he took one more breath, and then was gone...

He too was suffering from cancer, and was on morphine.

I'll be praying for u.

Love ya in Him...
D