CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 11, 2008

Dull

My sword has been dull. I used it during VBS and put it away. I took it out a couple times to remind me who I am and what is God's will. It's dull and rusty. The verse that inspired this blog says one man sharpens another and that is when I pulled it out again. When I say "my sword" I am referring to God's word. Ephesians 6: 17 "Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."
Now lets look at what is God's word. First, John 1: 1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John is speaking of Jesus in this verse. We know that the Bible is God's word. Now when we read the Bible God's word is in our minds and hearts. When we talk about the Bible our mouths and ears have God's word in them. So by activating the Word in any form: reading, speaking, thinking, hearing, believing, writing, or living it in action, we are sharpening our sword.
When I have a dull sword I withdraw and do whatever is easy and time consuming. It can be the computer, television, or movies. Typically all three of these have ungodly messages whether it is commercials, shows or hidden messages. Everything has a message and pulls for our attention. If we are filling our minds and hearts with ungodly things it dulls our sword and makes us ineffective. We start believing the negative things our minds tell us and start to fill those holes with whatever makes us feel better.
Why can't we just do what's right and reject the lies and inject the truth? If there is no more room for the truth we can't get the truth. All that's left is whatever we've been filling our minds and hearts with. I have learned more than any other time in my life that iron sharpens iron. We sharpen each other. By talking openly and honestly with close friends, you have an ally that tells you the truth and shares their struggles with you. You can see you're not alone and hope begins to rise once again.
I had a 13 year old girl show me where I was at fault. She recently came back from a four week missions trip and started spending early morning hours with God. She came back changed and it shows. I am proud of her and am humbled at her example. She has awaken who I need to be and what I should be doing. My priorities need realigned. 15 minutes with our Lord and a promise, it's a start. Thank you friends for the encouragement and prodding. You mean the world to me.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Yes, it's a start. And now (by publicizing this) you are now accountable to many people. :0)

DaNella Auten said...

I am here to INcourage u!!! Funny thing,we are consumable... we get used up. We have to get filled up so we can spill out more. Spend time with God. Let him fill you up.

Love ya
In Christ.
D