CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Prayer With A Twist

I read Psalm 35 this morning (well the first 10 verses). It was David praying to God, asking Him to basically protect him from his enemies and take vengeance on them. There was one verse that stood out to me.
3 Brandish spear and javelin against those who pursue me. *Say to my soul, "I am your salvation."*
He wants God to talk to his soul. I know I've read this before but I cannot recall ever reading 'Say to my soul'. Maybe I interpreted it differently. Your soul is different than spirit. The spirit is what I normally hear God with. I am sure it is the same for you. David, I believe, is asking God to tell his mind to get with it. Tell my mind 'it is ok' because you have and are saving me.
Proverbs 23:7
For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he.
David knew this wisdom. He was talking to his soul quite often in the Psalms:

  • 42:5-6 Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you from the land of the Jordan, the heights of Hermon—from Mount Mizar.

  • 42:11, 43:5 Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.

  • 62:5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.

  • 103:1,2 Praise the LORD, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits.

There are a lot more. David was trying to think kingdom-like. He wanted God's attitude so bad that when he was depressed or thinking wrong, he told his head what to think. 'Hey mind God is in charge and nothing is going to change that. Get thinking what He can do and not what I can't do.' He even went to God to have Him tell his head what to think. That is desperation and that is devotion. When everything we do to follow God still ain't working, tell Him to do what we can't do.
Are you needing your mind to think on heavenly things? Tell God to talk to your mind! Funny how every answer in life is go to God. He created us. He knows how to fix us. He is the answer to the question. #:-)

0 comments: