Before I start, I must say this was a past statement and I'm not changing careers.
It started about 17 months ago. I was concerned about my future finances. The stock market was frustrating me and the future of Chrysler (my employer) was iffy too. I read some rich guy books and began to accept the concept of starting my own business. I knew I could to it and I started a quest to learn everything I could. I bought books on cd, took a few courses on how to start your own business, I sought out and talked to people that started their own business, I watched shows that taught how to become successful, I researched for seminars and trade shows, the list goes on and on.
My decision was to become a wheelchair repairman. I took online courses and several company courses. I spent in the neighborhood of $2000 total in preparation to change careers. I thought I was doing everything right and following God's will for my life. At that time I was struggling with my walk with God. It was hard to hear His voice.
One day during the fall God said wait. So I did for a few days. Then I went right back at it. I learned the good things and the bad of the health care industry. There was just enough bad to not jump in with both feet. Government is involved and I hate doing taxes. The more I worked at changing careers, the more it felt wrong.
The rest of my life was suffering and I began to realize I needed to get things right. I tried but couldn't do much. Work stunk, kids ministry was a chore, my marriage was lousy, Bible reading rarely connected me to God or applied to life, and my attitude was negative. I was getting depressed and my health started to suffer as well. I had nobody I trusted enough to talk to about this. Things got bad enough that I realized I needed to change or die. I drew a line in the sand and told God, "No more, this has got to change." I wrote two friends and met another to spill my guts and beg for their prayers.
Soon after, I met with my pastors to let them know I was dropping out of kid's ministry and seeking the Lord for change in my life. I was hearing from God again and life was getting under control again.
Within weeks the Lord showed me I had a job and didn't need to change. I was out of his will and trying to control my life without Him. I was trying and thinking for myself and compromising what I thought God was saying.
'There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.' Proverbs 14:12 & Proverbs 16:25. If you don't know what to do don't make something up, pray and see what God wants. He is in charge no matter what you think or feel.
Monday, March 17, 2008
I'm changing careers...I think
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment